Skip to main content

How social media has destroyed corporate restaurants

It's all about social media in general. Every person with a phone knows they can post something heinous on Facebook and hold it over your head, forcing you to satisfy their every wish. People understand that if something goes "viral," it can make or damage someone's business or employment, and that they will receive coupons and apologies from "head office."

making an online payment in a restaurant
Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

I've worked in the industry for 20 years and have done everything from host to KM and then GM, and I can't even begin to describe how bad it's gotten.

I've worked for all of Canada's major retailers and can tell you that they're all the same in this regard. Because the market is oversaturated with medium-level chain restaurants, the competition for visitors' seats is fierce, and social media has become far more significant than it should have been.

As the general manager of one of these restaurants, I spent an inordinate amount of time every week apologizing to people who left absurd social media, Yelp, Trip Advisor, and other evaluations. I would receive email notifications whenever a review arrived and would have around 24 hours to respond before my supervisor was aware.

There would be a website where I would have to document all of my information, such as when I called or emailed, what the resolution was, and any interactions. This was visible to any senior level individual in the firm, including the President/CEO, and if the complaint was significant enough, many of these people would contact me to discuss it and what we were doing to address it. All of these businesses have marketing and social media personnel who would be included.

Assume it's my day off and I receive an email informing me of a complaint. If I or someone on my staff (you know, the people who manage the restaurant while I'm away) don't drop everything and deal with it right away, it becomes a major headache for head office.

What exactly does coping with it imply? That is obviously just offering the person whatever we believe will satisfy them. This is excellent for valid complaints, but excessive, nonsense complaints are also rewarded. It's just easier that way because it takes at least an hour of my time each terrible social media post between the response email or call, all the logging and updating of head office, and the mailing of gift cards.

This is time I'd rather spend assisting workers or speaking with guests, and at the end of the day, head office is solely concerned with ratings and stars. If you can persuade someone to delete or remove a negative review, you've probably just made someone at headquarters happy.

It drains your soul. People constantly utilize social media as a form of leverage because they understand how damaging a poor review can be. Do you want free stuff? Threaten a negative post. Unreasonable demand? Not if you can tell the world how awful the restaurant is for failing to meet it.

I'm not excusing managers caving to these loopholes, but please understand that the system has evolved to the point where it virtually requires them to. Bonuses (such as additional funds for a staff party) can be linked to social media scores. Several days of conferences are devoted to measurements and goals for social media platforms.

All of the foregoing is why I declined the corporate GM position. I came to despise every minute of it, so I now work as a waitress in a modest cafe where my hunky husband is the chef. My employer is fantastic, and if someone posts an incorrect, spiteful review, she will kindly tell them to go.

I don't know how to break the pattern, but social media has destroyed corporate restaurants.

Comments